Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Prologue

Like every research project, this has to start somewhere. And like every research project, when you first hear of it, you can't even read it with full understanding. Well, I never can at least.

A few words about me.

I am a recent PhD graduate in Biomedical Science with quite impressive publication record. At least I am impressed. When I was starting my project, the goal was to complete. Preferably without giving up too much holiday and not spending nights in the lab. I never really meant to be very successfull with my project. Average was good enough back when I started. PhD is a PhD whether you get it with distinctions and medals or just a regular diploma. Completing a PhD is an achievement in itself, right?
But the truth is that no matter how much you plan to be indifferent to your research, it always takes your soul. I spent some holiday doing research and quite a few evenings but I only spent nights when I was writing up. And that was fun because it made me feel like a real writer. 
So I completed this PhD with distinctions, medals and a very impressive list of publications and now I am looking for a job.

What kind of job? 
Something interesting, ambitious, engaging and in line with my interests. I have loads of interests. I have passion for my PhD research topic, I am interested in intellectual property, I have a business heart in me. Hard working, enthusiastic, devoted, all the things that make a really good workaholic. The job market seemed to be my oyster. Untill I started applying for jobs. And it turned out that my brilliant PhD, my publication record, my broad interests, even my pretty face are not appreciated outside academia.

So here I am, writing this blog.
Mostly to help myself analyse how much this is caused by the current job market and how much this is because my CV is not printed on a pink, scented paper. Well, nowadays you don't even get to scent your own CV as they all remain electronic, but you know what I mean.

This blog will be about my thoughts and my attempts.

Follow me for a bitter-sweet insight into the PhD world and if you like pretty girls :)

x

No comments:

Post a Comment