Wednesday, September 5, 2012

To come out or not to come out?

That is the question...

So I have started a blog, it is there, and I actually think I have a thing or two to say about the subject of PhDs vs. world.

Do I make my blog an official blog of mine and brag about it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr, Linkedin and on my website? Or do I write this little journal for myself and a couple of people who come across it?

Pros for coming out:
1. I am not ashamed of what I want to say and quite happy to put my name to it.

2. It will help me optimise my website in Google.

Without devoting this whole post to telling the story of the Website I will just say this:
In order to keep myself busy, boost my optimism and feel like I am in charge of my own career I have started a business. The business is 2 months old and obviously doesn't make any money, YET.

3. It should be a sufficient comment explaining to my potential employers why I am applying for jobs while running a business.

4. It should be a sufficient comment explaining to my potential customers why I am still after a job if I am running a business.

Or am I totally wrong about this bit?

Cons for coming out:
1.  It is admitting that am struggling.

My name is Monika and I am unemployed. Nightmare! How will this affect my online identity? What will everybody think on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin? That I am lazy? That I like living at my boyfriend’s expense? That I am a loser? That I am not trying hard enough? That My CV probably has typos? That I copy-paste my cover letters? That obviously I must be doing something wrong. What will my uni friends think? How will my school friends judge me?

2. What if it comes out bitter?

This blog isn’t aimed at being negative, but what if it comes across like it is?

I need to take this decision, meanwhile watch this space for more drama! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment